In celebration of our ten year anniversary, a few words from our founder and fearless leader, Melany Robinson.
As you can imagine, the decision to start my own company wasn’t an easy one. Leaving the security of a full-time job with its steady paycheck and benefits to forge something new was a big risk. But without risk, there is no reward. I’ve seen firsthand that in business, as in life, the only guarantee is that there will be change. Over the past ten years, I’ve seen a lot it—clients, team members, the industry, and even my company itself (which we spent over a year rebranding). Change brings immense opportunity and a chance for personal and professional growth. Here are the 10 things I’ve learned over the past 10 years at Sprouthouse:
- Work with coaches who can help fill in the gaps of your shortcomings. Have advisors that will honestly tell you when something is a terrible idea.
- Just because you have the money doesn’t mean you should spend it.
- Find a circle of fellow entrepreneurs who you can trust to pick you up when you’re down and will join you in celebrating your successes.
- You’re never going to make everyone happy when you’re the one in charge.
- Always support people when they decide to make a career change.
- You can’t ignore the numbers when making decisions, but sometimes you do need to listen to your gut.
- Even when you’re the founder of the company, it’s important to unplug and let other people be in charge.
- If you don’t look forward to your work more days than not, you should probably make a change.
- Growing a business is like raising a child – you love it, are highly emotional about it, you’re proud of it, you sometimes make bad decisions, you worry about it, and you hope eventually it grows up and can be successful on its own.
- Be thankful. Thankful that people trust you to speak on their behalf. Thankful that people believe enough in you to be a member of your team. Thankful that you have the opportunity to build something with integrity.
—Melany Robinson, Founder of Sprouthouse Agency